Thursday, April 16, 2009

Joining the Phaal of Fame


If you haven't seen it, watch this first so you can get an idea of what I'm about to talk about.

http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/01/the-phaal-challenge-at-brick-lane-curry-house-on-man-v-food-video/


Ok, so I've been wanting to do this for years. I first went to Brick Lane Curry House about 6 years ago with a friend and enjoyed some good curry. The service was horrendous but I didn't care. I then went back 2 times after that on dates.

The last time I went there, over 2 years ago, I tried the vindaloo. I figured if I can handle the spiciness of the vindaloo I should go for the phaal the next time I was there. For me, the vindaloo was the perfect blend of spiciness and flavor. It definitely had heat, as I felt a couple of beads of sweat, but nothing I couldn't handle an actually rather enjoyed.

Unfortunately it took me 2 years to get back to do the Phaal challenge. I found a woman who enjoys her curry and after talking about it with a friend we decided to make it a night. My friend and his girlfriend met us there. It turns out its a place they frequent but haven't been able to enjoy for a while due to the popularity caused by the Man v. Food episode.

That night was a normal night there, about 75% full. I already knew that I was having the Phaal. Lisa, my friend's girlfriend, decided she was going to join me in this adventure. My friend and girlfriend went the stomach friendly route and had the madras which is basically your grandma's curry.

So you know how I mentioned before that the service is horrendous? Well it still is. They really aren't that busy but it still takes 15-20 min to get a waiter to do anything. Drinks, food, whatever. It's annoying, especially when you keep psyching yourself out about eating this 10 alarm curry. We finally wind up ordering (yes they make you say that you are willing to be in pain for the next hour). First the appetizers (samosas and pakoras) which are decent enough. Not as much flavor a I would think these food items would have. Not the best you can find but I wouldn't pass them up.

Finally, the curry gets to the table. One last kiss to our significant others and we dig in. It's hot. The more you have the hotter it gets. It tastes like shit. Like burnt chiles. We keep going. We have to finish ALL of it..even the nasty semi-liquid stuff that you wouldn't normally eat elsewhere.

About 45 minutes later we have a couple of forkfulls left. We find that eating it with rice actually prolongs the heat in your mouth. Nan (garlic nan especially) relieves some of the heat if you eat it plain. Soda helps the burn (it's the sugar) but the carbonation fills you up. Lisa was happy with the white wine cooling her mouth. By the end, there was no heat left (at least none we can feel) and it was the worst tasting food I have ever had. I almost didnt finish it on taste alone. But I did and we got our free beer (well, wine), our certificate and we sent our pics in to the restaurant (there is NO fanfare like on MvF which made us very upset. You actually send in a pic). Eventually, you'll be able to go to "www.bricklanecurryhouse.com", click on the "Phaal of Fame" and see my picture. Was it worth it? Yes.

Overall I'm glad I did it. I can now cross it off of my list of things to do. Although if I go back, I'm sticking with the vindaloo.

No comments:

Post a Comment