Saturday, March 7, 2009

Come fly away...with Buffalo!

Before you read this, I know. I NEED to start taking more pictures. I will. I promise. This is still new to me! So here's my first recipe. So easy but soooo good.

As much as I love pizza, buffalo wings are my favorite food. I have been to the birthplace (Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY), I have had the best (Duffs in Toronto, Canada and Amherst, NY) and have been around NYC to find the best (I haven't found anything that beats Down the Hatch in the Village). My obsession with wings began in college, along with many other obsessions (beer for one). 25¢ wing night was a staple with my friends. Every Monday night, at Mcgillicuddys in New Paltz, NY, we would down a hundred wings, many pitchers of beer, watch some football, get some more drinks across the street then some how get to class the next day.

After school we wanted to keep up with wings. For the Stuperbowl, we would order from the Anchor Bar who would overnight the wings. All you need to do is heat them up. They were a great treat but at $1 per wing (after shipping) it was expensive. I decided there has to be a way to make your own.

It turns out it's one of the easiest recipes to make and out amazing wings. I first started off with just deep frying and coating them. They were good but the meat never really seemed done properly. They were cooked but still stringy. Then came my revelation, baking them first.


Super Easy and Delicious Buffalo Style Wings
Serves 7-10

Ingredients:
10Lbs (apprx 35) Chicken Wings (drummette and wing)
1 Bottle (12 Oz) Franks Original Red Hot
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter
2 Quarts Canola or Peanut Oil
Frank's Xtra Red Hot to taste
Salt and Pepper

Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 375 deg.
2. Wash then separate the wing and drummette, and remove the wing tip (there is no edible meat there)
3. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and a spray lubricated rack. Place the wings, skin side up, on the rack.
4. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.
5. Place in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until just starting to brown.
6. Put the oil in a large heavy pot or deep fryer and heat to 375 deg.
7. While the chicken is cooking, in a medium pot melt the butter and mix in the Frank's Red Hot. Add the Xtra Red hot to desired spiciness (really spicy, add 1/2 cup of the xtra red hot).
8. Take the wings out of the oven and let cool to room temperature.
9. 4-5 at a time, place the wings in the hot oil until a nice, dark golden brown (about 4-5 min). Make sure to keep the temperature up, not letting it fall below 350. If the temperature falls too much turn up the burner and reduce the amount of wings you put in the oil.
10. Remove the wings and briefly drain.
11. Add one batch of wings and 1/4 cup of the sauce in mixing bowl, cover and shake for 30 seconds.

Serve hot.

Do NOT put them in a gas oven to keep hot. When natural gas burns it emits water vapor which makes foods soggy. An electric oven is fine.

2 comments:

  1. Those superbowl wings were soooo good. Baking them first was totally genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention McGillicuddys bro, I have been trying to duplicate their wings for years now. The trick is, they pre-deep-fried them in 325 degree oil so that when fnally ordered, they cooked up super quick in 425 degree oil. Franks and butter were the base for the sauce, at ratios 1:2 for mild 1:1 medium, then they start adding a little Dave's Insanity for the hotter versions. I also flour the chicken 1/2 hour before the first cooking becuase I like the extra crispy skin. Great blog bro, we should get together for curry sometime!!!
    Scotty O.

    ReplyDelete