Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jean-Talon Market, The Fresh Produce Bonanza



There are two major, fresh produce, "open air" markets in Montreal; Atwater and Jean-Talon. To me, Jean-Talon is bigger and has more variety that Atwater. It also has a creperie and an amazing Meat/Cheese store. Everything a gastronomic is looking for.

Jean-Talon Marche' is 3 blocks from the Jean-Talon stop on the orange line of the Metro. It's right near Parc Jarry and Blvd Saint-Laurent. Basically, ultra-convenient.

Montreal is known for these markets. They have every kind of fresh produce you can think of (vegetable, fruits, meats, cheeses, flowers, coffee, cookies, etc...and of course, pamplemousse!). Jean-Talon has an amazing variety of everything above, as the pictures show. It incorporates about 2x3 blocks. During the summer it takes over the outdoor parking lot surrounding it and becomes even bigger.



In the main area there is Creperie du Marche. This is where I go for my crepes in Montreal. Think about it. It's surrounded by the freshest produce, there are always people there so there is constant turn-over, and the guy making the crepes (at least as of recent) is French! You get a choice of Savory and Sweet crepes and BOTH kinds are amazing. My favs are the smoked salmon and the asparagus crepes. Although you can't leave without having one with the ham and cheese. Just think of a crepe, with the most luxurious ham and cheese you can think of with a mild smokey flavor. Averaging $8CD a crepe, you just can't go wrong!

Surrounding the main area are small shops. Bakeries, more produce shops, liquor stores and The Hamel Fromagerie. As soon as you walk in to Hamel your olfactory glands are bombarded by stinky cheese and meats. My g/f and I get the peppered sausage with a mild brie. Grab a baguet on the way out and you have the most rustic, delicious sandwich. Don't like brie or peppered sausage, no problem. They have a huge selection of meats and cheeses. Just don't forget to take a number or you'll never be served!

I make sure I visit Jean-Talon Marche' every time I'm in Montreal. I suggest you make a priority as well.

Thanks to Sven Patrick Larsen for the Pics.




2 comments:

  1. Oh my god, that asparagus crepe... AMAZING. I can't believe I'm not going this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what about your latest trip? C'mon, no pics from Vice-Versa?

    ReplyDelete